Yes, you can work out, and engage in most sports, but there are a few precautions:
- Soaking the tattoo is out, so no swimming, water sports, etc.
- While working out, running or doing anything where you are moving and stretching a lot, make sure you lotion the tattoo before you get started. You want the tattoo to move with you, not dry out and crack.
- If you sweat a lot while working out, keep a clean cloth handy to pat the tattoo dry once in a while. Sweat itself is not a problem, but once it dries on the skin, bacteria starts growing and that’s of course not good for the tattoo.
- Wear clothes that allow the tattoo to breathe. Most sports clothing is made from synthetics and is not good over a healing tattoo. Cotton t-shirt fabric is best.
- Make sure the tattoo doesn’t touch surfaces like benches or equipment, so that your artwork doesn’t pick up bacteria.
- When you are done working out, make sure you clean and re-lotion the tattoo.